Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service, and can be viewed on their website at www.immigration.govt.nz.

Eligibility For Health Services

Most International Students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed on their website at www.moh.govt.nz.

Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents, and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at www.acc.co.nz.

Medical And Travel Insurance

International Students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand. This is required under the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students. Freyberg High School offers a product at an approximate cost of $650 per year. We recommend this policy for all International Students.

If you wish to purchase your own insurance elsewhere, you must provide a copy of your insurance certificate to the School,. The School will determine whether the insurance will provide sufficient cover for all the student’s needs, whether medical, travel or possible repatriation needs.The student’s insurance should apply:

  • As soon as the student leaves home for the airport

  • While the student is in transit and throughout their entire stay in New Zealand
  • For any trips the student may make to other countries, as well as any holidays back to their home country, during their period of study.