The Dance Academy is an extra-curricular opportunity for experienced dance students to further extend their knowledge, technique and skill-base through participating in weekly sessions. It is necessary for all Dance Academy students to have a minimum of two years formal dance training, and to continue with their training outside of school during Years 9, 10 and 11 in order to maximise their capabilities.
Each year, Dance Academy students learn a variety of dances such as Contemporary, Jazz and Hip Hop, which are then entered into the annual Dance NZmade Interschool competition, held during Term 3; these are often used to help senior students gain extra NCEA Credits where possible. These dances are also performed at an end-of-Term Dance Showcase, and can be further selected to be performed at the end-of year Prize Giving ceremony.
There is also the opportunity for Dance Academy students to participate in Masterclasses given by dance professionals from companies such as the RNZB and Footnote New Zealand Dance, and attend performances by these companies at a discounted cost.
Please Note: Entry into the Dance Academy is through an audition in November. If you would like to apply, please indicate this by ticking the Dance Academy box on your enrolment form. You will be contacted via email with an invite to audition.
IMAGES: These images are all taken from the Interschool Dance NZmade 2020 Palmerston North Regional competition. The Dance Academy performances won several major awards, including: a Choreography Award, 1st Runner Up Team (Year 9-10), 1st and 2nd Runner Up Teams (Year 11-13), Team Champions (Open), PN Regional Champions (Open Team), Overall Team Champions (Regional 2), Overall Team Champions (for both Regionals 1 and 2). Due to Covid-19, the dance Academy were unable to compete at National level.
Members of the Dance Academy qualify for three standards awarded throughout their time at school. These being:
Bronze - Years 9 and 10
Silver - Years 11 and 12
Gold - Year 13
(See below for further information)
ENTRANCE CRITERIA FOR DANCE ACADEMY
Students who are accepted into the Dance Academy are required to meet standards in the following areas:
1. An approved course of study
2. Participation in all Dance Academy activities.
3. Dance performances - Showcases, Dance NZmade; Optional opportunities to perform at Open Night, School Production, Prize Giving ceremonies
Further requirements of the Dance Academy:
1. Students must take Dance as a subject in Years 9, 10 and 11 (optional in Years 12 and 13)
2. Students must be willing to attend rehearsals before school - Tuesday / Wednesday / Thursday - 8.00am - 9.00am (dependent on the rehearsal group required or activity) and after school Monday / Tuesday / Thursday 3.00pm - 4.30pm (dependent on the rehearsal group required). We do our best to avoid clashes with studio lessons or other rehearsals such as the school production.
3. Students are required to participate in Masterclasses / Dance Workshops being given by visiting professional dance educators from companies such as RNZB and Footnote New Zealand Dance.
4. Students must show a responsibility towards and respect for all aspects of the performing arts facilities.
5. Students should display caring, passion, dedication and self-motivation.
6. Students are also expected to keep up with their academic studies in all subject areas - completing all work to the best of their ability and meeting deadlines.
Course of Study: Take Dance as a subject
LEVEL: SILVER (Year 11 and 12)
Course of Study: Take Dance as a subject (Year 11 only)
LEVEL: GOLD (Year 13)
Course of Study: Dance as a subject is optional
The Dance Academy, plus two students from Manukura School, experienced an amazing Masterclass with members from Footnote New Zealand Dance.
Director of Dance Academy
Office Contact Details06 358 4971
06 358 4971 ext 709
Or use the Freyberg High School App
Freyberg High School33 Freyberg StreetRoslynPalmerston North 4414