Musical Theatre Academy
Our Musical Theatre Academy was new to Freyberg High School in 2021 and provides an exciting opportunity for all young people passionate about musical theatre. The academy looks to extend students' complex performance skills in the discipline of musical theatre, through a year-long programme available every year that culminates in a Term 4 Showcase (non-musical year). In our weekly tutorials, led by a range of tutors, we focus on students developing their acting, dancing and singing skills, growing them to perform at a high level. Students in this academy will aspire to be performance leads in our bi-annual musicals. This academy looks to build on the exceptional tradition of musical theatre established at Freyberg over the last decade by further growing our passionate performing arts students.
Requirements of the Musical Theatre Academy
1. Students must be taking one of Drama, Dance or singing lessons through Freyberg High School.
2. Students must be willing to participate in musical theatre activities out of school hours. Sessions will be on Friday 3.10pm to 5pm in A1. There may be additional rehearsals and performances outside of this time period.
3. Students are strongly encouraged to take part in field trips/visits to musical theatre productions when offered.
4. Students must show a responsibility towards and respect for all aspects of the performing arts facilities.
5. Academy students should display caring, passion, dedication and self-motivation.
If you are interested in joining our Musical Theatre Academy please indicate this on your enrolment form. Once enrolment has been confirmed you will receive an invite to audition via email.
Entrance Criteria Years 9 – 13
Students who are accepted for the Musical Theatre Academy are required to meet standards in the following three areas:
1. An approved course of study
2. Participation in school musical theatre activities
3. Musical theatre performance
Three standards (see below for further information) are awarded during a student’s time at school:
Bronze (Year 9 – 10)
Silver (Year 11)
Gold (Year 12 – 13)
Course of Study: Take at least ONE of Drama, Dance or singing lessons.
Participation in a three-stage audition process. Tutors will be looking for students to demonstrate the following:
Performance in at least one school musical theatre production/activity undertaken each year.
Course of Study: At least Dance or Drama as a NCEA subject or singing lessons.
Satisfactory completion of bronze level OR participation in the BRONZE audition process.
Satisfactory completion of silver level OR participation in the BRONZE audition process.
For MEMBERS...Find MTA on Facebook:
Our 2022 MTA Tutors:
Fiona Gledhill (email@example.com) | Vocal and Acting
Ricky Chan (firstname.lastname@example.org) | Vocal
Our MTA Administrators:
Fiona Gledhill (email@example.com)
Tina Bell (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Phone: 06 358 4971Email: email@example.com
Office Open 7.30am to 4.00pm - Monday to Friday
Phone: 06 358 4971 ext. 709
or use the absence feature on the Freyberg App
Freyberg High School 33 Freyberg Street RoslynPalmerston North 4414